Tuesday 31 December 2013

First Instinct Articles - Eminem, Daft Punk and Doctor Who

This post is just a way of rounding up all of the articles I've written for First Instinct Magazine in December, and, I suppose, in 2013. At the very start of December, I did write one article about Ed Sheeran, which I've shared on this blog already. Since I've already mentioned that, I won't focus on it in this post. In case you want to read that, it can be found here: http://firstinstinctmagazine.com/2013/12/01/ed-sheeran-blazes-back-onto-the-scene-with-his-new-song-i-see-fire/

Apart from that, I wrote a review of Eminem's song and video, 'Rap God'. I'm fascinated by the appeal that exists in his music because of the intention to offend behind it, and this is something I mentioned. From the perspective of an English student, his lyrics are rich with things that could be discussed. Despite all of the controversy surrounding the song and him as an artist, I think his work is effective, powerful and not to be disregarded. The review can be found in the following link:

http://firstinstinctmagazine.com/2013/12/08/rapper-eminem-raises-to-the-heavens-of-music-with-rap-god/

I also wrote a review of the song and video by Daft Punk, 'Instant Crush'. I think Daft Punk is brilliant regardless, and I've written about their work previously in this blog. I think 'Instant Crush' is no exception. A lot of passion and ingenuity has gone into the video, the song and the entire album, 'Random Access Memories'. I think Casablancas suits the song perfectly and, even if the concept is a little creepy, it works seamlessly. A link to that review is below:

http://firstinstinctmagazine.com/2013/12/15/daft-punks-creation-instant-crush/

Very recently, I wrote a review of the Christmas Doctor Who episode, 'The Time of the Doctor'. I can't call myself a Whovian, honestly, because I lost interest for a while and have missed about a series and a half of 'Doctor Who'. However, I recently regained interest, re-watched some old episodes that I still had and watched the 50th anniversary episode. On Christmas Day, like many, I sat down and watched the Christmas special, and I was enthralled by it, even if I've missed a good chunk of 'Doctor Who'. I've written this review, praising how masterfully it gave Matt Smith the goodbye he deserved. I'm eagerly awaiting the new series, even if I can't really call myself a Whovian yet. My review can be found on the following link:

http://firstinstinctmagazine.com/2013/12/31/christmas-doctor-who-episode-the-time-of-the-doctor-will-be-immortalised-in-time-and-space/

A link to the homepage of the magazine, for anybody that's interested in it, is posted below:

http://firstinstinctmagazine.com/

I've enjoyed writing for the magazine so far. I only started this blog late this year; it is very young and I hope to keep contributing to it and growing it in 2014. I hope everybody who reads this had a merry Christmas and has a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment